Monday, June 4, 2012

One and a Half Year Anniversary with Amanda :)


Amanda and I recently celebrated our one and a half year anniversary together on May 30, 2012.  It’s hard to believe that time has flown that fast in our relationship. As the old expression goes, time flies when you are having fun, and we have had a lot of fun during the past 18 months of our relationship. With our anniversary, we decided to plan a little vacation to celebrate it, so we got a hotel for two days.  When people think of a vacation, they might think of somewhere exotic, somewhere with nice weather, or somewhere far away. For us, it’s more about having time to ourselves, away from everything, to relax, enjoy each other’s company and take it easy.  We usually stay local.  It’s more about getting away and having alone time together.


We both live at home currently, so it can be difficult to have time to ourselves.  We love our families, appreciate them, but sometimes you just have to get away from everyone and everything, and it’s nothing personal.  It’s just refreshing to have peace and quiet and the freedom to do what we want when we want to do it.  When you live with others, you have to be aware of them and can’t always talk at a normal voice at 1AM or 2AM in the morning.  I respect that completely, but it’s great to just live by your own rules sometimes.


We always stay at the Red Roof Inn and use their Superior King Room, which includes a king-sized bed, a 32 inch flat screen TV, a microwave and fridge. I love having a flat screen TV, a big bed to relax in, and the microwave and fridge, so we can bring our own meals, heat them up, and have them whenever we want. We are saving up for our own place, and this is the next best thing to having our own place. When it comes to a special occasion, we like to celebrate it in style by getting each other gifts, decorating the room, and having alone time away from distractions and chaos.


The night before the vacation is always hard for me, as I have a hard time sleeping, and I am super excited, anxious, and pumped up for the vacation. I toss and turn before finally waking up and getting the day started. We always get as much stuff done beforehand as possible. We shop at Target to get all the food and drinks that we need in order to make it a great vacation. We buy candles for the room, pack well the night before, and order the gifts ahead of time.  Preparation is key for any vacation to be successful.


We left at 12:30 for the 1PM check in time. I was feeling a little tired, sluggish due to getting up early, not being able to sleep. We stopped off at Speedway to get me an energy drink. I don’t usually like to get energy drinks or rely on them, but I didn’t want to be feeling tired, yawning, and sleepy on vacation. I wanted to be fully alert, happy, and focused on everything, enjoying it.

Upon arriving in the hotel, we unpacked and got everything situated. I got our lunch prepared for the day as Amanda relaxed. I had chili and she had chicken soup. We didn’t want to eat too big of a lunch as we were going to Del Rhea’s Chicken Basket for our anniversary dinner that night.
They give you TONS of chicken. We snacked on string cheese and yogurt in case we got hungry. From there, we watched Rocky, which is one of my favorite films of all time. It speaks to me, as it’s a story about someone that no one believes in or sees anything in him. In many times in my life, I have felt that way, and the film moves me, brings me to tears and resonates with me, even after multiple viewings. I see Amanda as my Adrian, the one who doesn’t see me as a bum or a bad person. Not afraid to admit that once again I cried during this movie. It’s so powerful, so gritty, so real, and so well-written. It’s amazing and holds up incredibly well even after multiple viewings.

Then Amanda got ready while I took a shower. One of my favorite things about vacations is taking a shower. You might say, “What’s so exciting about a shower?” With my place at home, the hot water is very shoddy, and my family isn’t always happy with the water bill if I take long showers. When I’m on vacation, I blast the water up all the way and stay in there, sometimes 20-30 minutes. I do my best thinking in the shower and I love the feeling of the hot water on my back. It’s very soothing and relaxing.

From that point on, Amanda finished getting ready and we went out all dressed up to Del Rhea’s Chicken Basket. This is our favorite place for a major occasion, as we have been there for our one year anniversary and Valentine’s Day. The one waitress that works there is amazingly sweet, always takes lots of pictures of us, and compliments us on how sweet, nice, and cute we are together. We saw her there this time, but sadly she was serving another table. She did say, “Hey, my favorite couple! I love your hair, Amanda.” I got the chicken wings, which have so much chicken on them, they are amazing! Amanda got the Chicken Basket, which was also out of this world. We enjoyed another quality meal there. They never disappoint.

From there, we went back to the hotel to exchange our gifts. Amanda knows me so well and always gets the BEST gifts. We set a 30 dollar limit, so we don’t go overboard, and we always make the most of that 30 bucks. Amanda got me Jimmy Fallon Thank You Notes 2, Roger Ebert’s new book about bad movies, Magic VS. Bird DVD, and a ton of goodies, candy wise. I got her some bows for her to wear in her hair, a new cell phone case, nail polish remover, a Starbucks gift card, earrings, and also a ton of goodies, candy wise. I love our gift giving and how we make the most out of our budget and always have great gifts.
From there, we relaxed in the king sized bed, read some of our books, and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the hotel room. Then I took a bath, enjoyed the nice hot water again and was very soothed. We got in our pajamas and ended the night with Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon, and the Rock ‘N Roll Hall of Fame on HBO. We passed out around 2AM, happy and completely in love.

The next day, I woke up feeling a little icky. Allergies have been a major problem with me lately, and I had a sore throat. I was disappointed, but I didn’t want to let it ruin our vacation. Yes, I was sick and it sucks to be sick on vacation, but you can’t make it ruin your time. As the old adage goes, life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it. I didn’t want to tell Amanda at first because I thought I could ignore it and it would go away, as I didn’t want it to have any thought in my head. I decided it would be best to tell her, and she was super sweet as she went to Target next door, got me hot chocolate, medicine, and cough drops. After that, I felt a lot better! I was still a little sick, but it was tolerable and not unbearable. I thought that was very sweet, incredibly thoughtful, and loving of her.

Day two of vacation was what Bruno Mars thought of when “The Lazy Song” was created. We stayed in our PJ’s all day, watched Seinfeld, channel surfed, relaxed, talked, read, and did nothing, and loved every second of it. It’s rare to get a day like that, where you can do nothing and not feel bad about it or have someone tell you, “Get out of bed. It’s 5PM.” We made the most of this day, as time was going by so slowly. We were enjoying each other’s company, the brilliant quiet, peace, and knowing we had no where to go and no obligations. No work, no school. It’s very freeing, relaxing, and fun for the mind. It allows you to let go, enjoy the moment, and not worry about anything.


We ended the night with Leno, Fallon, reading, and Seinfeld before calling it bedtime at 2AM. We got up at 11AM the next day for the noon check out time. We finished packing, putting everything away, cleaning up, showering, and we said goodbye to this vacation. It was fun, amazing, relaxing, loving, romantic, and everything I needed and more.

When I came back from vacation, I always feel refreshed, rejuvenated, and rested.  I try to go on these at least once every couple of months with Amanda, as it’s much needed for my health, mind, and body. I highly recommend it.

I’m very blessed, happy, grateful, and thankful to have someone like Amanda in my life to share my life with, and these vacations bring us closer together and even more in love.

Until the next vacation, thanks for reading, everyone!

-Tony Farinella

No comments:

Post a Comment